WELCOME: TO A. COLETTE HARRIS PROPERTIES, LLC

Real Estate Brokerage Blog

Here you will find information about our real estate tips and real estate informational strategies we engage in.

Sunday, December 19, 2021

What Not To Ask On a Job Interview



Hi Prospects & Friends,

I wanted to share a horrible employer interview experience I went though as an employer a few days ago, and recommend from my own experience not to try these tactics on a "Job Interview" with any employer who is younger than you. First I think this actually falls under age discrimination, but because it's not really focused on the "Employer" much and more on the "Employee", I honestly think that's why it's not really a big issue just yet to create a world wide category for it. So this is how my interview went as an employer. I recently had a female applicant come to my firm to want to possibly work for me. I was dressed professional on the interview, and was ready to let her in my office. The applicant who I will not reveal for protection purposes came in my office and immediately glanced around at everything and them "Zoomed" in on me. I requested her to sit down in a seat I provided her, and before I could even start the interview she ask me:

  • How old are you?
  • How are you able to afford a place like this for rent"? 
  • Where are you getting the money to pay this rent?
  • How much is this rent here and can you even afford this place?
  • Who is A. Colette Harris Properties, LLC & Who is April C. Harris are they the same person?
  • Who Are You?
  • Are you even licensed?
To stop this interview from continuing to get out of hand, I immediately stepped in and said, "Ms." these questions have nothing to do with the interview, and that the interview is about the job she was applying for. I then explained to her I was the company and the owner, and that my company just didn't have my full name spelled in it, I then informed her I've been in my same office since 2011, and that how I pay my bills has nothing to do with her. This whole interview was bizarre, and I honestly didn't know how to engage with it anymore.  So I cut it short, and said what was required for the job, and told her to go and think on it. I realized the applicant was possibly asking me these questions because she was a "Baby Boomer" since she revealed she was retiring in a few months, and wanted to do real estate as a supplement. I did inform her that if she was uncomfortable with me being a younger boss & etc, then she had every right to go and apply at another firm. So my point is if you happen to have an employer who is much younger than you, that is advertising for a job you need, understand they didn't get where they're at from blowing off their money, or having a lack of education. It is very inappropriate to ask an "Employer" their age, if they are younger than you and if you're just uncomfortable with it, and won't indeed accept it, then don't proceed with the interview just to ask even more inappropriate questions. The whole bizarre thing about this interview was she didn't even know I was the company and the owner interviewing her, because she right away decided to attack me with inappropriate questions, and didn't let me reveal too her who I was. 

Never underestimate who is interviewing you & that it may just be the "Owner of the Company"

When I look at Reese Witherspoon & Jack Dorsey they are indeed my age, and I wonder if they ever get "Age Discrimination" with applicants who are older than them. Well either way I wasn't upset and learned alot from this interview. Maybe in the future the colleges will create a class in human resources, that explains how to approach a younger boss on a interview if you ever indeed have to face it someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment